Subject: Re: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD
From: Scott Bronson (bronson_at_rinspin.com)
Date: 2003-01-29

You got it working?? Well, that leads me back to the defective
drive hypothesis...

When the Toshiba drive is installed, I can't get any of Win98,
Win2K, WinXP, or Linux to even recognizethe USB device as a hard
drive, much less format it.

I expect it's because the Archos throws the register error before
it finishes booting, leaving it in a brain-dead state. I just
can't figure out how to prevent the register error.

Does anyone know how to decode register errors? Thanks,

    - Scott

>> Hello. I just tried upgrading the 20GB Hitachi hard drive in
>> my Recorder to a 60 GB Toshiba, model number MK6021GAS.
> I did the same some months ago and it worked from the beginning without
> any problems. The only thing is, you have to format the drive with
> FAT32, and although this can be done with WIN98 it can´t be done with
> XP or 2000. XP and 2000 format large drives with NTFS by standard and
> cannot be forced to FAT32. You need either a WIN98 system or external
> programs for XP/2000.
>
>> Does this make sense to anyone? Do I have a defective drive?
>> When I swap my original Hitachi drive back into the Archos, it
>> works fine. This is 100% reproducible.
>>
>> I pre-partitioned the Toshiba drive in my desktop computer, so
>> I'm sure the new drive works and has no bad blocks.
>>
>> One thing I noticed: the Toshiba says "60 GB, 5V 0.7A" on the
>> outside, whereas the original Hitachi says "20 GB, 5V 0.5A".
>> I wouldn't think that 200mA would cause the Recorder strain,
>> but that's the only difference I can find.
> This is no problem.
>> Well, it seems like the Toshiba takes a long time to spin up.
>> Maybe the Archos has a quick timeout?
>>
>> Should this drive work with the Archos? Maybe I should upgrade
>> to the 60 GB Hitachi DK23EA?
> Yes, it definetly works. It is a bit louder than the original drive,
> but there are no other problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre.

  • application/octet-stream attachment: stored