Subject: RE: Just an idea about the FM recorder...
From: Matthew P. OReilly (moreilly_at_moreilly.com)
Date: 2003-02-01

The MAS is the same type as on the older recorder models, AFAIK.

If that is the case, you are unfortunately completely wrong. The radio
is not played by the MAS. It is just connected to the ADC input of the
MAS, which routes the audio to the headphones. At least, that's how I
assume they are doing it.

/Linus
<<

The MAS is capable of real-time mp3 encoding, so I don't see that this is
necessarily the case. Also, considering that the FM recorder also buffers
30 seconds of radio time, I would assume that this is compressed - 30
seconds of uncompressed audio is not unfeasible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Is it be possible to analyze the output and determine whether it is
compressed or uncompressed? We obviously can't save it since that would be
compressed almost definitely... so it would have to be real-time analysis
somehow before it goes through the DAC. Is there a clever trick we can use
to do this?

Matt