Subject: Re: Disk spin-up when shutting down
From: Chris Holt (amiga2k_at_cox.net)
Date: 2003-02-02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Uwe Freese" <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 6:13 AM
Subject: Disk spin-up when shutting down

> Hello,
>
> If I set the resume function on and switch the device on, the music
> starts to play. Rockbox doesn't need to get the dir info of the current
> dir for this, which is no problem at this time.
>
> When I press OFF to switch the device off, Rockbox first wants to read
> the current dir, turns on the disk. I don't know, is it ok for the disk
> to be turned off when it's just spinning up?

The disk spins up and spins down constantly when playing, I'm sure it's done
with whatever it needs to do when turning off with resume enabled. Rockbox
is not going to let power be cut to the disk in the middle of disk
operation, because I think the programmers don't like scrambled drives any
more than the rest of us. :) I've been using it (resume) lots since it was
first put in, and have no problems.

> Suggestion: The current dir should be gotten automatically when starting
> with resume on at start. So Rockbox doesn't need to read it when
> pressing OFF.

Are you sure it's reading? I always assumed it was writing resume
information.

And if you change to a different directory before turning the unit off? Or
are you saying get the whole tree?

I don't think either one is practical or even necessary.

Chris