Subject: Re[2]: Disk spin-up when shutting down

Re[2]: Disk spin-up when shutting down

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:42:26 +0100

Hello Chris,

Chris Holt wrote on Sunday, February 2, 2003, 12:56:25 PM:

>> When I press OFF to switch the device off, Rockbox first wants to read
>> the current dir, turns on the disk. I don't know, is it ok for the disk
>> to be turned off when it's just spinning up?

CH> The disk spins up and spins down constantly when playing, I'm sure it's done
CH> with whatever it needs to do when turning off with resume enabled.

I'm talking of pressing OFF when the buffer is filled, the drive is off
and the device is playing.

CH> Rockbox is not going to let power be cut to the disk in the middle
CH> of disk operation, because I think the programmers don't like
CH> scrambled drives any more than the rest of us. :)

Wrong. Rockbox does turn on the device and the hardware circuit does cut
off the power the same time (read my reply to Björn).

CH> Are you sure it's reading? I always assumed it was writing resume
CH> information.

It isn't writing or reading. It's spinning up. It takes at least 3
seconds until the drive can read or write.

Bye, Uwe.