Subject: Re: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD -- solved
From: Scott Bronson (bronson_at_rinspin.com)
Date: 2003-02-05

> Aw, man. I wish I would have heard about this before I returned my
> 40gig Toshiba for a more expensive IBM...I guess this is the answer to
> the problem I was having last month. The odd thing is that there are
> some among us that are using the toshiba drives successfully...

That's true. I know of at least one other person with the EXACT
hardware that I do (Toshiba 60Gb drive on a Recorder 20) who didn't
have to solder the jumper. It's weird.

Running engineering change maybe??

Incidentally, I didn't have a Win98 machine around, so I formatted
and partitioned the drive in Linux. Works great. This is using
the 2.5" IDE adapter, but I imagine it would work similarly over
USB...

# cfdisk /dev/hdc
  partition: type=0x0C, bootable

# mkfs.vfat -c -F 32 /dev/hdc1
  (omit -c if you don't want to perform the lengthly bad blocks check)

# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/archos

then copy copy copy...