Subject: Hard Drive Issue Resolved...Cause?
From: Mike LaChance (mike_at_ironhilltechnology.com)
Date: 2003-02-05

...maybe this will help others...

My fully-charged, brand-new JB20 would malfunction after about 1 hour of
use. I call Archos, and they said that given the 'arcade-like' noises that
the hard drive was making, that the hard drive was probably bad...but, that
I should try new batteries first. The RockBox mailing list suggested the
same. Result: new 1800 mah batteries stretch the time before malfunctioning
to about 2.5 hours. My conclusion: one or both of the following:
a. the hard drive required a higher than normal amount of voltage/current to
function properly
b. the hard drive was prematurely draining batteries

I suspect that it was both, given the difficulty that the drive seemed to be
having even when it was functioning properly.

I exchanged my JB20 for another (via Gateway). The new one works as
advertised. The sounds that the hard drive makes are entirely different
(and more 'normal'). That said, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison:
although the JBs were shipped from Gateway only a week apart, the first one
had a Hitachi drive and my new one has a Toshiba.

None-the-less, kudos to Archos support, Gateway and the RockBox mailing list
for their assistance!

Mike