Subject: Re: FM Recorder battery?
From: Andrew Jamieson (ajamiesn_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: 2003-02-08

There is virtually a whole industry in the design and manufacture of Li-Ion
battery monitor IC's. They prevent the battery from being overcharged
(above ~4.2V), undercharged (below 3V), or short circuited. In these
circumstances, it is possible for the Lithium in the cell to plate out to
the electrodes, and become explosively reactive to any contact with water.

Most Li-Ion cell manufacturers will not sell batteries to companies unless
they know what protection circuit they are using; this indemnifies them in
the case of an accident with the battery. I would be very surprised if the
Archos product does not have a protection IC in it, but it is a _REALLY_
good reason not to charge your batteries with rockbox until we have more
detailed circuit information, just in case it does not.