Subject: Re: User Interface thoughts

Re: User Interface thoughts

From: Joaquim Carvalho <jdc_at_x64.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:06:15 +0000

Björn Stenberg wrote:

>Joaquim Carvalho wrote:
>

>>- The Play key should not enter the menus as this can't be kept
>> consistently,
>>

>How is that?

I meant the play/pause key should always do play/pause - really
necessary when you need to
immediately pause the music to hear something/someone (there's no mute key)
Entering/Leaving a menu with the Right/Left keys is OK, the Play/Pause
key is not needed for this
and an always available Play/Pause key would be a good thing

>The user interface is naturally a much discussed item since it's what we all see and feel when we look at the device. The current model evolved from developing for both the player and recorder simultaneously, and thus the UI of the two devices became very similar.
>
>If you haven't seen it already, you should take a look at another suggested UI redesign: http://www.ghettohardware.com/rockbox/

...the Global keys idea is simillar to mine and the page looks good. I'd
make a few changes though:

- a (vertical sliders) Sound Settings screen that should be assigned to
the global F1 key
- the main menu could be [F3], the Explorer View key should be [On] as
[On] leaves you at the Explorer View after power-up
- the Off key should permanently be Stop, the back key is [Left]

I can see this wouldn't work on the player but... tapping [On] once
could be [F1], twice [F2] and 3 times [F3] !
Is a user interface change being considered? Would a user interface
change patch like this be accepted if the code style is OK?

Joaquim

p.s. just now I'm using rockbox, i want to turn the volume down and
don't know what keys to press...