Subject: Re: Cross compiling C++; malloc/free implementation?
From: Remo Hofer (
Date: 2003-02-13

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:58:34 +0100 (BoD) wrote:

>> Windows shortcut support has been suggested (#672731) but I challenge
>anyone to write an elegant
>> implementation. The .lnk file format is a mess, to put it mildly.
>We could replace it by a "symbolic link": a simple text file that contains
>just one line with the path of the file pointed to.
>Hmm wait, is this just a one item playlist then? :)

No, it would be a one item playlist which is allowed to point to a
directory. And the filesystem code should handle it transparently
as part of any path below this directory.

If the format would be so, that at least freshly created links
created by windows (neither the link file itself nor the destination
has been moved), it would help people with windows to create them.

BTW doesn't cygwin implement "ln -s" with windows links. Has anybody
looked at their source. I suppose it's GPL.

Remo Hofer <>
Do NOT remove nospam from email address!