Subject: Re: Rockbox FM USB charging?
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2003-02-15

TP Diffenbach said:
> I think that I 've read that the Rockbox FM builds no longer attempt to
> manage charging, as the FM does this in hardware.
> Is this also true for recharging through the USB connection? It appears
> (from the battery display) that the Rockbox FM is charging when
> connected to USB. My main worry is, is the hardware or is the Rockbox
> controling this, and if the later, is there a danger of overcharging?
> Also, it appears that the battery is running down somewhat more quickly
> under the Rockbox FM softwaere than under the Archos software. Or do I
> have incorrect battery settings? I have "Battery Capacity set to the
> default, 1500 mAh. Is this correct for the FM? Does changing this
> actually change how the power/battery is managed, or just the equation
> for displaying battery level? (I.e., can I break anything by changing
> it?) --
> Archos FM has a Rockbox!

Rockbox does not handle charging on the FM model - all charging is done by
hardware. The Battery Capacity setting only affects the estimated runtime
display. I don't think this is even relevant for the FM, as there only
appears to be the "official" Archos battery available, as it is a
non-standard battery.