Subject: microphones
From: fille (fille_at_nibewege.org)
Date: 2003-02-16

Hello ,

I own a Archos Jukebox recorder 20 . I noticed that , when i'm recording
sound with the internal microphone , it also records the sound of the
spinning disk, every now and then (but too often ;p ). I don't think
there's anything i can do about that . So i decided to buy an external
microphone. Now i have a few questions concerning this matter.

- does the microphone need a battery , or does the archos work with those
small microphones without a battery ? I was told it doesnt matter , but i
want to be sure.
- I saw Archos sells pre-amped mics for around 35 euro here . Did anyone
try it ? Or should e.g. a Sony be better ? Is a pre-amped microphone
necessary ?
- I want to record dj mixes at a local party , does the Archos deal with
too high incoming volumes ? Does it autocompress the sound or will i get ,
what is called in dutch : 'overstuwing' , a messy boosty sound , like when
you shift up the volume too high but your boxes cant handle it and start
sounding bad . If the answer is yes , how can i overcome that problem ?
- Can a digital microphone be used with the digital in ? Or is the word
digital misleading in this matter ?

something not about mics:
- Is it safe to use the line in directly from e.g. a television (with the
red and white from the tv to normal jack for the line-in) , or is their a
risk to blow up the Archos recorder?

Thanx chaps ,

Fille / Belgium