Subject: Re: ajbr20 behaviour with batteries
From: diava_at_web.de
Date: 2003-02-17

Hi José!

> I know that the AJBR20 consumes batteries while it's connected
> to the power adaptor, so while searching for the cause of some hangs
> I noted that when the batteries are low ( <5% ) the AJR spinsdown
> its HD (I can even hear the disk stop) and the operating system
> is unable to use the device.
>
> So my supposition is that the rate of power consumption is superior to
> the charge rate and after several hours of use (I have USB 1.1) is
> the AJBR no longer maintains the necessary voltage and spinsdown
> the disk.
>
> What do you think? Is this possible? , I didn't find any comments
> about this in the archives list?

Me and some friends noticed the same behaviour for our AJBR20s (-; they are upgraded to AJBR60s meanwhile ;-). The charger doesn't deliver the amount of power required by the recorder during longer USB sessions. So the batteries are drained even with a charger connected.

That's why I've developed this patch (maybe Björn includes it into RockBox2.0 release????):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=673350&group_id=44306&atid=439120

It will always show you the current battery level during USB sessions (with charger connected or not), so that you can take precautions like unmounting the archos early enough...

Another way would be to setup a suitable HDD idle powerdown timeout (e.g. using hdparm with linux). But I've never checked whether this works with the archos or not.
Note: this doesn't affect large data transfers, since the HDD won't be idle at all.

The only way to solve this problem is a hardware mod. We're thinking about that, but it will take some time...

Dirk

Wir benachrichtigen Sie uber neue E-Mails, wo immer Sie moechten.
WEB.DE FreeMail - http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021186