Subject: RE: Experimental new UI for the Recorder : This is great !!!

RE: Experimental new UI for the Recorder : This is great !!!

From: Joaquim Carvalho <jdc_at_x64.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 15:28:34 +0000

New version available at:
http://www.x64.com/public/ajbrec.ajz
Joaquim

Changes:

wishes and remarks:

> general :
>
> - use left to exit a menu (to go back of one level I mean, as right Key is
> used to enter a menu...). (yeah.... why is left not used while in menu??
> ;) )
You're right. Fixed.

> - ON/F1/F3 would go back to Browser/WPS/Sound directly (while in a menu)
> (and not back up of one level in the menu hierarchy as left Key is already
> doing so).
Right again. Fixed.

> - I really miss the QuickConfig screens that are available in the normal
> Rockbox. I think it would be nice to display them after a long press (one
> sec. or so) on F1 F2 F3 :
> .A long click on F1 would bring a sort of "context menu" :
> delete/rename/record/createplaylist/editplaylist... while in Browser mode
> and editID3/showID3/PichUp/PitchDown/ while in WPS.
> .A long click F2 would bring the General Setting quick Screen
> (fileview,followplaylist, StatusBar)
> .A long click on F3 would Bring the Play Settings Quick Screen
> (RepeatMode/ShuffleMode/resume/EqPresets)
> (this would also remove the ON+Play and ON+F1 tricky shortcuts :) )
I'll do it later.

> sound menu :
>
> - I would prefer to have dB instead of %age for bass/Treble/loudness (make
> more sense in my opinion)
...later. Need more time/info/help

> - balance 50% should be 0 (centre) (more logical isn't it ?)
Don't have enough space to display -30 or 30L. Any suggestions?

> - I have the feeling that the volume control is way too sensitive when going
> above 60. I actually prefer the oldschool one. more precise and easier to
> use.
Right. Fixed.
Volume setting above 60% now has the smallest stepping available.

> - the mini icon volume seems not to match the value showed the volume
> slider. while the slider is at 47, the mini icon shows 0.
The mini icon volume was linearized, the slider display wasn't.
47 is near silence so the linearized display is more correct, I think.
Any comments on this?

> -I also liked the fact the original rockbox shows the volume as numerical
> value in the status bar when changing it. it is missing it this release.
My fix to the volume setup code is not mathematically correct. It's just
a quick fix to make the rockbox use more pleasant. I'd like to have a
linear and mathematically correct volume setting with the perceived
volume displayed in Db but didn't have the time to read the datasheet
and do it.
The rockbox % value is just a number with little meaning:
75% should be 3 times 25% but it isn't.