Subject: Re: Experimental new UI for the Recorder
From: Joaquim Carvalho (
Date: 2003-02-19

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 14:31, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Joaquim Carvalho wrote:
> > - Graphical sound setup with vertical sliders
> This should IMHO be split into a separate patch for consideration independently of the major UI overhaul.

Sure :) The sound setup screen is self-contained in the sound_menu.c
file so that's an easy thing to do.

> > - Inverted video cursor line
> Have you managed to remove the performance problem we had in our previous attempt? Try browsing into a directory with many files. Then hold the down key until you are scrolling at full speed. Keep scrolling for a second, then release the key. Did the scroll stop immediately? If it did, please split this too into a separate patch and submit it.

There were too many lcd_update() calls on the code, only one was
really necessary. I think the speed is OK. Anyone has a different

> > - More responsive keyboard
> What is the problem you are addressing with this change?

Rockbox (and Archos original firmware) misses keypresses.
I changed the keyboard poll interval and it has improved
though it's not perfect yet.
I also made the auto-repeat faster to suit my personal taste.
I did this version mainly to suit my usability needs, ideally
the auto-repeat should be user-configurable.

> I'm sorry I haven't had time to test your code personally. I'm swamped in work at the moment.

Me too. My hacker side has been dormant for many years but I
think rockbox has woken it up. I shouldn't have compiled GCC
for the sh1.