Subject: Random Play
From: Alexandre Belloni (
Date: 2003-02-20

>Yes, i have noticed that, with using a playlist that was generated onboard
>(i.e. with the Make Playlist option) you get a lot of plays on one song. In
>my case, it was both the first song transferred to my recorder (which would
>make it the first file on the disk) and also the first song alphabetically:
>Alien Ant Farm - Movies. I definitely get a lot more plays on that song
>than any other song when using onboard-generated playlists.
I think it is just the same problem as in xmms or winamp (thought I
haven't really browsed
the code nor experienced much rockbox, I just received my Archos two
days ago). You got
20 % of tracks that won't be played and 20% of tracks that would be
played twice as others.

A work-around could be a weighting system. I don't know how to implement
that yet but
I could think about it maybe it would cost too much memory and RockBox
can't afford that.

I really don't think there is a better pseudorandom generator that coud
be efficiently used.