Subject: code style - my take

code style - my take

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:09:50 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, TP Diffenbach wrote:

> Of course, I don't know how well gcc supports C99. But adopting this the
> C99 Standard might well make /de jure/ constructs that are laready /de
> facto/ in Rockbox.

C99 is very well adopted in recent GCC versions, but we don't want to require
them. We want Rockbox to compile and build even with earlier versions. (Some
of the C99 stuff was GCC extensions already before C99 was set.)

Besides: code style, format, indentation, braces, variable names etc in
Rockbox follow a general style. The style was set by Björn together with the
original core people, and it has been followed by lots of people without
problems. The style is somewhat documented in docs/CONTRIBUTING.

We use that style in Rockbox. Like it or not. Obey. Personally, I do not
apply patches to Rockbox that don't follow the style. Either I refuse to
apply them or I reformat them myself.

Or else, you bring a VERY GOOD motivation why you cannot. And reasons like "I
want it this way" is not very good.