Subject: Re: Using Digital in/out on Archos Recorder 20 ?

Re: Using Digital in/out on Archos Recorder 20 ?

From: Inderjeet Singh <inderjeet.singh_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:14:56 -0800

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew P. OReilly" <moreilly_at_moreilly.com>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 5:04 PM

> To the best of my knowledge, none of the Archos units have optical inputs
or
> outputs.
>
> I think you may be confusing optical with S/PDIF... S/PDIF is the digital
> interface most devices use, but it has several manifestations, including
> RCA-style (the most common) and optical (nearly as common). The optical
> interface actually uses a fiber-optic cable to transmit information via
> lightwaves. The RCA cable is just like any other RCA cable, really - it
> uses electrical signals to transmit the digital information.

Yes, you are right. I thought S/PDIF meant optical out. I knew that there
were some differences between S/PDIF and toslink optical connections, but I
did not know that S/PDIF can be on normal RCA cable as well. Thanks for
enlightening me.

> My guess is that you have a 3.5mm stereo jack (which is the same concept
as
> RCA style), since it works with another device. (Unless for some reason
the
> fiberoptic cable actually "fits" into a standard 3.5mm jack...)

You are right, it probably is just a simple 3.5mm stereo jack.
The mini-optical input adapter fits very well in this jack, so I was
confused (rather hopeful) that this is an optical digital connection.

> Some of the inputs and outputs on the original jukeboxes (Jukebox 6000 for
> instance) were non-functional. I don't know if that extended to the
digital
> interface, but it might.
>
> What model player/recorder do you have?

I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20.