Subject: Re: 8MB builds anyone?

Re: 8MB builds anyone?

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:29:12 +0100

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Stenberg wrote on Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 2:07:32 PM:

DS> As I've noticed that there is now more than one person who've made the 8MB
DS> reconstruction, I've been thinking about making special 8MB builds available
DS> on the daily build page.

DS> Anyone interested in this?

Yes! Although it is not that important for me to download a
precompiled version, I think for the most people it would make it
easier.

DS> If so, what's the initial stuff we really need to
DS> get the 8MB to do/use/have/feature ?

As described in my 8MB-mod-page http://www.uwe-freese.de/rockbox/8mb_ram_en.html

- a modified firmware/app.lds (for recorder)
  and firmware/player.lds (for player)
  The new ones could be called
  apps_8mb.lds and player_8mb.lds
- "Integration" in the tools/configure script somehow (so that the
  Makefile uses it if the user selects a 8MB version)
- modified firmware/mpeg.c
  (The bad thing is that it only works properly with this dynamic dma
  buffer thing Gerald Clark gave me and that was not needed for a
  usual 2MB AJB. I didn't care that my mpeg.c is much different to the
  mpeg.c in CVS. But if we add the code for a 8MB modified JB, one should
  probably try to decrease the number of different lines.)

DS> Is the link control file ok for example?

What is this file? Is it the .lds file? As described, we need two
additional files for the 8MB version.

Bye, Uwe.