Subject: Re: Re: recording - shut down - save
From: Peter Koenig (
Date: 2003-02-23

I don't know if we're talkin' the same thing, but a too noisy recording (where peaks are clipping) isn't restorable IMHO. The bass is too noisy and voices and trebles are distorted - there's no plugin for that. I talked to some studio professional about this once.

Are talking about clipping or clicks?

>On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:32:17 +0100, Peter König wrote:
>>Regarding the clipping, you won't have any luck.
>>There's no software that can remove clips.
>>This is because "clipping" means that there's a part of the sound
>>signal missing (the wave is cut). There's no software that can guess
>>that missing information (except onboard the Enterprise maybe).
>Not so complicated really. Sonic foundry has a plug in that can restore
>clipped peaks. The missing information is simply the peak of the
>waveform and not complex at all. You can interpolate the clipped portion
>of the waveform by looking at the angles before and after the clip taking
>the duration of the clip into account. Obviously if you have clipped
>entire waves and not just the peaks, then nothing is going to help you,
>but many times it's possible to get a good recreation of the original
>This is not to say the plugin is inexpensive or super easy to use, but
>it's certainly doable without LCARS. :)
Müde auf kleines Postfach?
SPEED, KOMFORT, NON-STOP ONLINE ab CHF 40.- cablecom hispeed internet -