Subject: Re: Re: recording - shut down - save
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-02-24

Okay, perhaps we have a language barrier here.

To me, clipping and noise are two different issues.

A recording made with the level set too high will result in simple
clipping of the waveform. As I said, this can be restored with
reasonable accuracy. I was assuming we were talking about clipping only
and not clipping + noise or clipping + distortion (caused by overdriven
mic/noisy preamp/ external sources, etc).

Noise can have many sources, both internal and external to the recording
equipment, and is, as you say, very difficult to deal with. If you have
a very loud sound source that has overdriven an electret mic, for
instance, resulting in a distorted (and clipped) recording.

Clicks never entered my mind, as they are a rare issue with live

Perhaps your "studio professional" was unaware of the package available
from Sonic Foundry, or it had not been released yet.