Subject: Re: Locked disk - the solution

Re: Locked disk - the solution

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:16:28 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Bengt Ritover wrote:

> I have to say that not being able to unlock the disk despite the
> comprehensive instructions on this site has made me very wary - disks are
> not cheap and its a pain having to take the unit to bits.

I do sympathize with you and your problem.

However, we shall not exaggerate the risk of doing a firmware upgrade this
way. Hundreds if not thousands of people have upgraded to rockbox, and many
of those have done it multiple times.

I personally have upgraded my box several hundred times alone, without ever
having faced this problem.

So yes, the risk is there, but AFAIK the risk is just about as big when you
upgrade Archos firmware as when you upgrade Rockbox and since we don't even
know why this happens in the first place, we can't even rule out that you can
get this problem even when not upgrading firmware at all...

And hey, what's a life without risks?