Subject: Re: Alternative UI based on the current version of Rockbox 20030227

Re: Alternative UI based on the current version of Rockbox 20030227

From: Joaquim Carvalho <jdc_at_x64.com>
Date: 01 Mar 2003 14:08:10 +0000

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 09:43, Robert Hak wrote:
> it would _still_ be easier if you would break your patches up across
> multiple patches.
>
> some of your ideas will go in with little discussion im guessing.. others
> with more so.
>
> as one block, you just delay (and possibly reject) all of it.

Yes but I did it before I knew_of/thought_of that. Making the
code good for the current version took me half of the time it took
to do it the first time. Breaking it into independent working and
correct small patches at this time is quite impossible, well, not
impossible but would take longer than it took to write it and
would be definitely not fun. This is what I can do: I'll remove the
parts that are not wanted.
I'll keep the small patches thing in mind for any future contributions
though.

About the reason why I had to change to UI, please read this:
I don't have much free time, I work over 11 hours a day.
I need things to be simple, manageable, easy going and reliable so I
don't waste much time with any of them.
That includes my PC and software, the hairdryer, bicycle, bank,
restaurants, airline company, mobile phone, etc. I moved to Linux +
Evolution + VMware + [Win200 in a cage] + Mozilla, replaced my flashy
but slow, unreliable and badly designed T68 with my old Nokia 3210,
stopped driving a car in town, bought a jukebox so I don't have to touch
CDs - all this was to fix the "bad" user interfaces in my life. I found
that people who have the time actually enjoy using the CD object, I
really hate it.
Rockbox is a complex piece of software and it's quite usable if you're
sitting on the sofa looking at the screen and enjoying it but most of
the time I'm working, riding a bike or doing something else. I don't
enjoy taking the jukebox out of my pocket to lower the volume, change
song, reduce the bass so the phones stop distorting, increase it so I
have some fun, reduce it because it's distorting, reduce the treble
to compensate for it or pause the damn thing so I can answer the phone,
all when cycling from work at 10:00pm. That's why I really need the
global keys.

Joaquim