Subject: Re: Alternative UI based on the current version of Rockbox 20030227

Re: Alternative UI based on the current version of Rockbox 20030227

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:02:13 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Joaquim Carvalho wrote:

> Rockbox is a complex piece of software and it's quite usable if you're
> sitting on the sofa looking at the screen and enjoying it but most of the
> time I'm working, riding a bike or doing something else. I don't enjoy
> taking the jukebox out of my pocket to lower the volume, change song,
> reduce the bass so the phones stop distorting, increase it so I have some
> fun, reduce it because it's distorting, reduce the treble to compensate for
> it or pause the damn thing so I can answer the phone, all when cycling from
> work at 10:00pm. That's why I really need the global keys.

I don't get this.

If you just press PLAY and let your Rockbox play songs in your pocket, it
will be in the WPS all the time. Then you only need to know the key-combos
and things that are valid for the WPS as long as you don't want to pick out
the Archos from your pocket and see what happens. No need for "global keys"
for that reason.

Regarding the busy part: all of us involved in this project work long hard
days with our regular lifes and do this as a spare time hobby thing. Your
situation is not much different than any others. Blaming that for doing weird
patches is like saying that you're more special than all the current 50+
contributors that so far have managed their busy lifes combined with
supplying patches in a way that the patch-appliers can deal with them.

Your patches will most certainly be appreciated anyway, but the persons who
take care of it will get more work as I don't believe that we will apply all
your changes (at least not until we've had them dicussed and gone over a few
more times here on the list).

In short: by not following the guidelines, you give more work to one or all
of us: Björn, Linus and me. And I promise you that we are the ones who have
spent most time on this project already.

I'll try to dig into your patches tomorrow.