Subject: Re: pauses between songs

Re: pauses between songs

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 01:35:03 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Samuel Kaufman wrote:
>
>> Hi, Linus. Thanks for the speedy reply. I don't yet have the
>> machine! I wanted to know before I bought. Since you say "yes,"
>> and since you should know, I've purchased the Archos 20 gig
>> recorder. I was just wondering how to play w/o pauses because I
>> couldn't find instructions in the online documentation... so I
>> wasn't even sure that one could do this, because I KNOW how
>> seriously you guys take documentation. srk
>
> You just play the songs and they will play with as little pause
> between them as possible.
>
> Do note that you may need to have the songs especially encoded for
> getting the smallest possible (i.e no) gap.

For those who already have many ripped tracks and don't want to re-rip,
the mp3trim program (http://www.logiccell.com/~mp3trim/mp3trim.htm) is
free for the basic edition, and can easily and automatically trim off
any "digital silence" to minimize gaps between your existing tracks. It
has some other useful features as well, and works directly in mp3 format
(i.e., no decoding/re-encoding is done). I haven't yet tried the newest
build (Feb. 9), but I've used an earlier version and never had any
problems. It looks as if 7 minutes is the longest track size supported
in the totally free edition, but you can register and get larger file
size support (or other additional features) for a nominal fee. If anyone
else knows of an open source program that offers similar features, I'd
like to hear about that as well.