Subject: Re: logging patch - find never used dirs
From: Brian King (
Date: 2003-03-05

I've wanted a feature like this for a while, but one thing I would like
to see added is to somehow log what songs were skipped due to pushing
the next track button. I would then use this information to potentially
exclude these files from my playlists in the future.

Uwe Freese wrote:
> Hello,
> It seemed to me that rating functions, bookmarking, logging can be
> divided into two groups: The one with functions that the user actively
> selects (e.g. "Bookmark this file") and the other which collects
> important information automatically which can then used for analysis
> afterwards.
> I decided to make a very simple implementation of the latter one.
> - every time, mpeg.c fills the mpeg buffer with data from a track (AKA
> "plays a file"), one line is added into /.rockbox/.log_file in the
> format
> YY-MM-DD PLAY Filename
> e.g.
> 03-03-04 04.08.01 PLAY /Alben/Skunk Anansie - Stoosh (1996)/Skunk Anansie - Pickin On Me.mp3
> - this data can be analyzed with external programs/scripts easily
> - a sample windows program shows all directories in a list, sorted, and
> shows you the directories you never played. You can then delete these
> directories (they obviously only use disk space). You should have used
> your AJB some weeks to have useful results...
> - The patch is on the patch tracker. If I change something, it can be
> found there. I may also update the win program (same URL then).
> - A compiled version to play around with can be downloaded here:
> - If the function is considered to be useful and to be added to CVS,
> I'll add the necessary code to make it configurable (loggin on/off) in
> the menu.
> Bye, Uwe.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...