Subject: Re: Deep discharge
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-03-06

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:17:13 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
>>From the user manual:
>Deep discharge (Recorder only) - Set this to ON if you intend to
>keep your charger connected for a long period of time. It lets the
>batteries go down to 10% before starting to charge again. Setting
>this to OFF will cause the charging to restart on 95%.
>I've always thought that NiMH batteries perform best when kept
>charged. NiCd batteries perform best when discharged periodically.
>Under what circumstances would Deep Discharge be a good idea?
>-- Johan

You are thinking about Li-Ion batteries. NiMH likes to be fully
discharged just like NiCad, it's just not as critical. With NiMh the
biggest advantages are high current and energy/weight ratio and
resistance to "memory effect". Notice I say resistance and not immunity.
 They do benefit from occasional conditioning (full discharge to ~1v/cell
followed by full charge).