Subject: Re: Shuffle playlists (sometimes)
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-03-07

Johan Vromans wrote:
> I have a number of playlists. Sometimes I want to play a playlist
> straight, sometimes I want to play it shuffled. In general, I want
> straight play except for certain playlists. So I'm considering:
>
> 1. An additional shuffle setting: "once".
> The next Play command will shuffle, and reset it to "straight".
> 2. Mark a playlist that it should be played shuffled. A distinct
> extension, or some special data in the first line.
> 3. A keypress (or combination thereof) that will have the next Play
> command executed in shuffle mode.
>
> Alternatives 1 and 3 would also be applicable to playing directories.
>
> Ideas? Suggestions?

I think a better idea is to pick up the old idea of binding .cfg files to .m3u (and .mp3) files. I.e. play_list() looks for a .cfg file with the same name and location as the .m3u file. If it exists, it is loaded with settings_load_config().

This way you can set a lot more options for each playlist than just shuffle. I can see people wanting to adjust sound settings too, for example.

--
Björn