Subject: Re: Deep discharge
From: Joris van den Heuvel (
Date: 2003-03-07

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Holt <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 5:57 PM

| You are thinking about Li-Ion batteries. NiMH likes to be fully
| discharged just like NiCad, it's just not as critical. With NiMh the
| biggest advantages are high current and energy/weight ratio and
| resistance to "memory effect". Notice I say resistance and not immunity.
| They do benefit from occasional conditioning (full discharge to ~1v/cell
| followed by full charge).
| chris

To comment on your "high current" remark: as far as I know, NiCd have the
best "high current" capacity. That's why you never see NiMH batteries in
power tools. An 800 mAh NiCd battery will outperform a 1600 mAh NiMH when
loaded with a few amperes.

This is how I understand it:

NiCd vs. NiMH
- high current vs. high energy/weight ratio
- sensitive to memory effect vs. low sensitivity
- low sensitivity to overcharging vs. high sensitivity
- environment unfriendly vs. relatively clean

BTW it's a misconception to believe that Li-ion batteries are memory-effect
free, and they seem to wear out faster than NiMHs.