Subject: Re: Backing up HDD content
From: Johan Vromans (jvromans_at_squirrel.nl)
Date: 2003-03-08

Joris van den Heuvel <joris.bass_at_planet.nl> writes:

> So this really is a question of reliability of the Archos HDD.

From my (short) experience I'd say the Archos HDD is quite reliable,
but it's vulnerable when connected via USB. For example, I usually
connect it via the USB hub in my monitor. So I started to move 20Gb of
data to the Archos, and powered-off the monitor. I had to reformat the
Archos HDD to get it going again.
The same problem did occur once when I (accidentally) disconnected the
USB cable while a transfer was going on. Note in both cases the
standard Archos firmware (version 1.28) was used.

So for the time being I keep a copy of everything on HD.

> I remember converting most of my CDs to MP3, averaging two or three a day,
> letting the computer run at night. So it was about two months of work.

Hmm. Ripping a CD takes 15 minutes or so on my (not extremely
powerful) computer. Ripping 10 or 20 in a row is obtainable during a
one-day work shift.

-- Johan