Subject: Re: New ID3 and recording features
From: Mike Holden (rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net)
Date: 2003-03-14

Linus Nielsen Feltzing said:
> Hi all!
>
> I have committed some changes that affects mostly recording, but also
> the ID3 parsing. Therefore I want you all to keep an eye on the WPS to
> see if all ID3 information is displayed correctly, and also listen for
> gaps between tracks that shouldn't be there.
>
> The recorded files now have a Xing header, but it is empty. This makes
> the WPS display a bitrate of 0. To generate a complete VBR header with
> TOC and all, select "VBR Fix" in the ON+Play menu.

One thing I have noticed with 0 bitrate files is that they confuse the
skip buffer in the mpeg code. A file I recorded on Rockbox a couple of
days ago, with a zero bitrate starts to play ok, but when it gets to 1:21
on playback, it just stops playing. The mpeg view in the debug screen
shows the bottom progress bar as completely empty.

Even after running the FixVBR option on the file, the file still has a
zero bitrate in the ID3 tags, and the playback is still confused and
sticks at 1:21.

Files with a proper bitrate (>0) play ok.

When I was playing this same file a day or two ago, the mpeg thread was
keeping the buffer completely full, so that the disk was constantly
running. I assume something has changed here.

Maybe the playback code needs to be a little more clever when playing a
zero bitrate file when working out the low water level for the buffer.

--
Mike Holden