Subject: Re: playlists: directories randomly, linear within directories
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-03-15

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Nix wrote:

> Now as far as I can see this falls at the first hurdle, because while you
> can shuffle playlists, you can't have directory names in playlists, as the
> play-directory scheme actually invokes the playlist code, and there can be
> only one playlist at once because the playlist is (*ugh*) a global
> variable.

Since there is only one, why not use a global variable? ;-)

> Since that (`recursive playlists'?) doesn't work it's unsurprising that
> there's no way to play a sub-playlist linearly within a shuffled
> super-playlist.

If you spend some time reading the playlist code or reading about the
playlist concept, you'll soon come to understand that it might not be
something easily done.

> Anyway, if I haven't missed a simpler way to do this, I'll go off and
> implement sub-playlists and such.

I think I'm not the only one who's very interested in how to plan to make
this work with the existing functionality.

> Of course the playlist will have to move to being stored on the stack in
> play_list(); does this count as dynamic memory allocation?

Well, when you've loaded the first song in that dir, the user wants to be
able to press BACK and then FORWARD again... And, why would a specified
directory be played linearly if I have set 'shuffle' to YES? And I assume
that the second you say you can do this, people will want sub-lists that are
playlists and not directory names...

I like your "ok then, I'll go make this happen"-attitude. That's the kind of
spirit we need to get things happen. I'm still curious on the implementation
details... ;-)