Subject: Re: Turning off while HD spins

Re: Turning off while HD spins

From: Joris van den Heuvel <joris.bass_at_planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:45:08 +0100

| This all begs the question for me of why a HDD would EVER make a
| screaming noise. A low whine, sure, but screaming or screeching???

I think it's a way to inflict the least amount of damage to the platters'
surface. When the HDD is powered down with the heads in position, the heads
will be unable to go to the "park" position. Getting the platters to zero
speed fast (shorting the motor coils) is a simple hardware method to avoid
the heads from scratching the surface. But still, the heads remain on the
surface of the platters. It is much more susceptible to damage until it is
powered on again.

So I've heard.

Joris.