Subject: RE: playlists: directories randomly, linear within directories
From: Matthew P. OReilly (moreilly_at_moreilly.com)
Date: 2003-03-16

Daniel spoke, and it was written:

Well, when you've loaded the first song in that dir, the user wants to be
able to press BACK and then FORWARD again... And, why would a specified
directory be played linearly if I have set 'shuffle' to YES? And I assume
that the second you say you can do this, people will want sub-lists that are
playlists and not directory names...
<<

And Matt replied:

I think the shuffle/non-shuffle simultaneously issue is mostly because
unlike most other music (with progressive bands like Yes the possible
exception), classical music is cohesive as a unit over a very long period of
time. This means that someone might want to play a Wagner opera, Carmina
Burana, a Mozart symphony, and a Bach series in a shuffled fashion, yet each
is broken into a number of component .mp3 parts which must be played
consecutively to make any musical sense.

Perhaps I missed this before, non-coder that I am <grin>, but is there a
technical reason why it would be difficult/impossible to have recursive
playlists? AFAICT, we have (or are working on) all the necessary
functionality to do this sort of thing - .cfg files loaded with playlists
(to switch between shuffle and non-shuffle mode), playlists loading other
playlists (am I correct in that assumption?), etc. All I can see we need is
the ability to store the information about the parent playlist somehow,
which could be something of a logistical nightmare (unless you set the
maximum nesting to 3 levels or something) but not terribly difficult.

Am I missing something here? What portions of this are not possible
currently?

Thx
Matt