Subject: Re: yet another Mic-related question
From: Matt SF (spore_at_psibercom.org)
Date: 2003-03-18

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:30:19PM -0500, Chris Holt wrote:
> It certainly depends on your definition of "super expensive". After
> having reviewed schematics of several homebrew type microphone preamps,
> both with and without bias, I've come to the conclusion that unless you
> take the time to build one yourself, you are going to get fairly well
> ripped off.
>
> Sound professionals seem to have the most reasonable solutions in the
> around and under $200 range. The SP-PASM-2, for instance is a self

Chris, good point, sorry if I was a bit vague there :) Yeah I have seen
the SP units and they look nice, but seem overpriced. I know we all have
to make a living in this world, but how much R&D really went into those
small preamps? And now much do they really cost in materials? They're
around $US 200. Seems a bit much.

Can you recommend any above-average performing schematics/plans online for
a DIY mic->line preamp?

Zakk--yes a coworker of mine has the Archos mic and he likes it. Sorry
you're having to pay so much for it!

-Matt