Subject: Re: yet another Mic-related question
From: Chris Holt (amiga2k_at_cox.net)
Date: 2003-03-19

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:13:39 -0800, Matt SF wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:30:19PM -0500, Chris Holt wrote:
>>It certainly depends on your definition of "super expensive". After
>>having reviewed schematics of several homebrew type microphone preamps,
>>
>>both with and without bias, I've come to the conclusion that unless you
>>
>>take the time to build one yourself, you are going to get fairly well
>>ripped off.
>>
>>Sound professionals seem to have the most reasonable solutions in the
>>around and under $200 range. The SP-PASM-2, for instance is a self
>
>Chris, good point, sorry if I was a bit vague there :) Yeah I have seen
>the SP units and they look nice, but seem overpriced. I know we all
>have
>to make a living in this world, but how much R&D really went into those
>small preamps? And now much do they really cost in materials? They're
>around $US 200. Seems a bit much.
>
>Can you recommend any above-average performing schematics/plans online
>for
>a DIY mic->line preamp?

This one requires a bit of skill, but PCB layout is provided (though
you're on your own for stuffing) But with the right components will
provide excellent specs, plenty of amp headroom and a high (9v) bias
voltage.

http://www.geocities.com/ferocious_1999/md/micpreamp2.html

I had one other that was similar, but the link seems to be on vacation.
I'll let you know if it returns.

Chris