Subject: Re: introducing the car CD changer project (your opinion, please)

Re: introducing the car CD changer project (your opinion, please)

From: <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:15:38 +0100 (MET)

> Off the top of my head, I think a start would be to make the new "remote"
> simply send different events than the normal one. Events that signal more
> complex actions, such as "next dir (disc)".

Yes, that's the plan. The normal remote always sends binary 11xxxxxx, with
the first two bits being one and the following six representing the button(s)
being pressed. So we have 192 codes left, starting with 00, 01 or 10. We
will claim one of these blocks to express single byte commands. So far
identified for the minimal version (no display, etc.):
- play
- pause
- stop
- resume after powerup
- start FF
- start FR
- next track
- previous track
- first track
- last track
- random track
- give disk status: #of tracks
- give play status: state (changing, etc), track, time, ...
- CD select button n (1-6)

> As for the output parts, wps_refresh() could be modded to send data to the
> changer interface as well as draw on the LCD.

Good idea. We'd like to send data only when asked by the adapter (being the
"master"), rockbox the slave, so responsibilities on the half duplex line are
clear. Any information needed regulary (track number, time) has to be polled
by the adapter once per second or so.

> In any case, this changer
> adaptor will require numerous modifications to the Rockbox code. Remember
> #ifdef them properly!

We'll try our best.

Jörg