Subject: Re: another 8MB upgrade success story
From: Blue Chip (
Date: 2003-03-19

'scuse me butting in, I am only subscribing at the moment as I am
=considering= an archos, but the Creative Jukebox 3 seems to be winning
atm. Shame :( The big killer is no infra-red rcu and I understand that
you cannot activate the line-in during playback - so no building one either :(

Having written BIOSes for several years, memory detection is a basic
procedure for us. Obviously on a PC you have SPD which makes life easy,
but an alternative is to attempt a (read/)write/read(/write) cycle.

#define UI8 unsigned char
#define UI32 unsigned long
UI32 AutoSizeRAM(void)

UI32 i;

   for (i=RAMbottom; i<MaxRam; i+=RAMSectorSize)
     #if defined protect_memory
       UI8 t = bpeek(i);
     UI8 x = 0xA5;
     bpoke(i, x);
     if (bpeek(i)!=x)
       #if defined protect_memory
         bpoke(i, t);
   #if defined return_top_address
   #elsif defined return_ram_size_in_bytes
   #elsif defined return_ram_size_in_KB
   #elsif defined return_ram_size_in_MB
     #error you have to define SOMETHING dude!