Subject: Re: Chinese, Japanese, Korean rockbox
From: Greg Haerr (
Date: 2003-03-20

> * New font format. Current format is compact in
> memory, but expensive when reading characters into the
> LRU cache (2 or 3 disk reads, memcpy and a rotation).

Please keep me posted on your changes with the
font format. My original design was to perform a
single disk read into memory, but that got thwarted
when I realized it wouldn't work due to longword
alignment problems with the SH processor.

The rotation has been discussed before and could
easily be pre-rotated with a bit set in the .fnt header
file. I would like to make sure the font file specifies
whether the bitmap is rotated so we don't end up with
a multitude of slightly different .fnt file formats.

Also - what's the issue with the LRU cache, can
you detail this a bit more?

> > > Are there other people who are interested in this
> > patch, or who are looking
> > > for Simplified (GB), Japanese or Korean versions.

Are you planning on using fixed-size .bdf files for this
purpose, or would another type font also work? I've
shared code with the Microwindows project, and I've
got there a number of GB2312, Japanese, and Korean
fonts and formats.