Subject: Re: another 8MB upgrade success story
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-03-20

Leif Sawyer wrote:
> It sounds like the first thing is just to outline exactly what
> buffer changes need to take place, reserve a few bytes in memory
> for 'hardcoding' these values, then adjusting them if we find
> more than 2M.

It's not that simple. These buffers are allocated at link time. We can't just expand them, since there is other data before and after the buffers. It requires a more complex runtime memory allocation solution.

As long as 8MB is an exotic mod used by a very limited number of people, I will not accept added code complexity because of it. Making a separate build is much simpler and the result is the same.

--
Björn