Subject: Re: diegest email list
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2003-03-22

Chris Holt said:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:44:50 -0500, wrote:
>>I have subscribed to several other open source lists that only send
>> out
>> one or two mailings a day that sends everything thats been sent to
>> the email list, any plans on having a diegest for the daily emails?
> I find your misspelling humorously appropriate. I hate "die"gests
> with a passion.
> Don't people find it annoying to have to cut/paste just to reply to a
> message?

I've always found digests annoying as well. I used to subscribe to a
list many years ago that was digest-only, and I found it tricky to use.
You can't thread messages, so conversations are difficult to follow.

I usually read most messages once then delete them, but some I keep for
future reference, either because they contain useful information I may
refer to again, or because they relate to something I want to try out
before deleting. All of these are easy with single-mail lists, but
difficult with a digest, unless you do a lot of copy and paste to save
only the details you want.

With a digest, to reply to an email, you either hit reply then delete
all the stuff you don't want to quote, or you start a new mail and copy
and paste the information you want to quote - both are a pain. Whichever
method you use, to say WHO you are quoting, you have to copy and paste
their details.

I simply set a mail folder aside for each list, and set up rules to
divert each mail to the appropriate folder. I don't find the number of
mails a problem, and I have subscribed to some very heavy traffic ones
in the past - over 400 mails PER DAY. This list is very quiet in

Mike Holden