Subject: Re: Read errors
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-03-25

Mike Holden wrote:
> but i do sometimes still get "silent playback", which is the
> symptom of this problem.

Silent play can be caused by a lot of other things too, such as miscalculation of the buffer watermark for example.

> I will continue to dig, however!

Please do.

> Also, should the READ_TIMEOUT be max(5*HZ,<anti_skip_buffer_size>), since
> if anti-skip buffer is set to 7 seconds, we are giving up the ata read 2
> seconds before the anti-skip buffer empties, and abandoning 2 seconds of
> successfully read mpeg data.

The read timeout has nothing to do with how much data has successfully been read. As I explained earlier, each read operation is atomic. It either succeeds completely or fails completely. It cannot fail yet report some amount of data as read.

Giving up the read 2 seconds before the buffer runs out simply means we have 2 seconds to (try to) read the next file before playback stops.

--
Björn