Subject: Re: Read errors
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-03-25

Mike Holden wrote:
> My point is
> that we are giving up and returning an error, even though we still have 2
> seconds of mpeg data that we can continue playing. We can therefore
> continue to try for a complete read for a further 2 seconds without the
> user noticing anything amiss.

Not really. 2 seconds is just slightly longer than is needed to find the playlist, open it, find the correct spot, read the file name, find *that* file, open it, read it, bitswap it and start playing.

But more generally, I don't think we should add mpeg knowledge to the ata driver. Read errors that still fail after 5 seconds of busy-repeated retries will likely not be helped by a few more seconds of trying. Better to just grab the next file.

However, the single most important problem right now is the "red led dead". This appears to be a condition where the drive never recovers from failure and thus reports errors forever. Hence my attempt with using a hard reset.

--
Björn