Subject: Re: mp3-editor?

Re: mp3-editor?

From: ajf <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:22:01 -0500

Yes, exactly. The compression algorithm is lossy, so each time you compress
a WAV to MP3, you lose something.

I have used both Cool Edit 2000($70) and Audacity (freeware) and they do
expand an MP3 on the way in and recompress it when saving. I haven't (yet)
seen a visual audio editor that works natively in MP3.

OTOH, if all you want to do is tracking or simple signal processing
(compression, normalization), there's a product called Audiotools ($20)
which will do that. It breaks a long set into tracks based on detecting
silence, or several more complex algorithms, or else you can do it manually
while listening. It's not a visual editor -- more of a batch file
processor.