Subject: problems copying over many files
From: Matthew White (mtw_at_vne.net)
Date: 2003-03-28

Hello,

If I've come to the wrong place, please forgive me. :)

I've recently purchased an Archos Jukebox 20 recorder. I'm able to mount
the hard disk and copy/delete files etc. The problem I'm running into is
that when I copy a lot of files, the cp process hangs for a few minutes,
then begins again very slowly.

While this is happening, I can see (from top) that bdflush and
usb-storage-0 seem to waiting for someting. Their "STAT" is "DW".
When I see bdflush and usb-storage-0 drop from the top of the process
list, the file copies begin again at their normal pace.

Mounting the filesystem in synchronus mode takes care of this problem
but the copy process is quite a bit slower. I'm happy to provide any
system details folks might deem relevant.

thanks for your time,

-mtw