Subject: Re: volume leveling or normalizing
From: ajf (ajf_at_midmaine.com)
Date: 2003-03-28

What we perceive as "loudness" is determined by several properties of an
audio signal. You set the peak level to a maximum of 89% with MP3Gain, but
the "density" of sound makes some songs sound louder than others, even if
both have the same peak level.

For example, some songs might be at or near peak level 20% of the time,
while others are there 80%. It is a function of how the song was mixed,
how much compression or equalization were used, and the type of music, among
other factors.