Subject: Re: problems copying over many files
From: Ed McConnell (
Date: 2003-03-28

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 16:29, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Matthew White <> writes:
> > I've recently purchased an Archos Jukebox 20 recorder. I'm able to mount
> > the hard disk and copy/delete files etc. The problem I'm running into is
> > that when I copy a lot of files, the cp process hangs for a few minutes,
> > then begins again very slowly.
> I can confirm (and reproduce) this behaviour.
> FWIW: The 2-min 'pause' is much shorter (30 secs or so) when I connect
> the recorder via my USB 2.0 card.

i've had this too, but only since i've upgraded from mandrake 8.1
(kernel 2.4.8-26mdk) to redhat 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-24.8.0).

In my case, everything freezes, the mouse pointer, graphics, keyboard.
It looks like a system hang but then it just carries on normally after a
minute or two.

Ed McConnell

Grabel's Law : 2 is not equal to 3 - not even for very large values of 2.