Subject: Re: problems copying over many files

Re: problems copying over many files

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:53:45 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Johan Vromans wrote:

> Ed McConnell <ed_mcconnell_at_yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > In my case, everything freezes, the mouse pointer, graphics, keyboard.
> > It looks like a system hang but then it just carries on normally after a
> > minute or two.
>
> Hmm. This is not what I experience (Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.20).

I experience those slowdowns too on occasion, usually after something
crashes and I'm unable to unmount the Archos drive cleanly. When that
happens, running Windows Scandisk always seems to fix it.

In particular, Scandisk reports there is a problem with the boot sector
which could make the disk size be reported incorrectly, and could cause
extremely slow disk accesses. After allowing Scandisk to repair the error,
the drive behaves normally again.

Norton Disk Doctor (Part of Norton Utilities and Norton System Works) has
also successfully repaired this for me.

Oh, this is on a Windows 98 box. I don't normally do FAT filesystems on
my Linux boxes, but I think you will need Windows to repair this.

Good luck!

Michael