Subject: Re: IR the other way
Date: 2003-03-29

Hello Damien,
IMHO, turning Archos into a remote control is somewhat nonsense (sorry ;)
Why should one need that? A remote must be lightweigt, and it must
be "always on" - if I want to switch a device, I don`t want to have my
being booted first :) For me, a remote is a device, which fells on the
floor at least
3 times a day and you put your fingers on that while eating chips - you
see this happen to your archos ? ;)

> it would nevertheless be fun, especially if it can be made very easily.
yep - this maybe true - but this will be the only benefit I see so far.
Indeed - it`s nice to "fiddle around" with electronics, but I think there is
less interest
in this being a "rockbox feature"

As I see, you somewhat already mention this and just ask for technical
Yes - I think this is possible - though it will be more difficult to
implement if
just hooking a "dumb" IR-LED to the I/O Port instead of using existing
IR circuit.

is a good start!?
have fun

> Hello all,
> As there are anew people talking about IR remote for the Archos, I thought
> about turning the archos into a IR remote control, in order to command
> other
> devices such as TV, VCR, etc. As this feature isn't really an useful
> feature
> it would nevertheless be fun, especially if it can be made very easily.
> I have some weeks ago made a ir serial remote nearly for free, as
> explained
> on this page It used only 1
> component (the IR led), and the 40 KHz carrier was created by the
> computer.
> I tought it would be possible to create a thing like this running on the
> Archos, but I don't know much about what's inside it. So, what do you
> think
> of this, would it be technically possible ?
> ~~~~~~Damien Teney~~~~~~

+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more +++