Subject: Re: Playing silence, revisited.

Re: Playing silence, revisited.

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:22:19 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> Michael O'Quinn wrote:
> >
> > First, some settings might be significant. Here's what I have...
> >
> > FF/RW Min Step = 3
>
> I finally did it! I was using a Min Step of 1, when I raised it to 2 or
> 3 I managed to repeat the error.
>
> Thanks for the recipe. :-)

Let's see, this was actually a bug, but we've managed to bake some cookies
out of it. I guess it helps to NOT think about what you're actually
eating...

Getting back the the whole bug concept, since I found that I could listen
to the same piece of silence over and over, I naturally did so. (Who
wouldn't!) Lo and behold, I found that the silence was not as silent as I
had thought.

Now I am not referring to any hiss or picking up background electronic
noise at 100 % volume with good headphones. That's there all right, but
it's not what caught my attention. What I found was that some songs seem
to have random ticks and blips, and they are ALWAYS at the EXACT time
index in the song. I can even shut the thing off, and the same blips are
still in the same place.

Let me repeat that: The silence really isn't completely silent, and for a
given song the non-silent parts are exactly repeatable.

Almost like it's reading the data, but then that data isn't quite making
out the headphone port correctly.

Can you say "byte swapping" boys and girls?

Michael