Subject: Re: Spare battery

Re: Spare battery

From: Chris Houghten <chris_at_houghten.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:25:19 -0500

Browsing the net reveals that Lithium Ion batteries are not a big deal and
only harmful if you burn them or open them and touch the stiff inside or
stick the stuff inside in your eyes. Well duh! Isn't this the case with all
batteries? In fact, they are supposed to be safer and stabler than NiCd
batteries.
If an alkaline battery is put into the wrong charger it might leak or even
burst, but a lithium-ion battery put into a NiCd or NiMH charger not
designed for lithium-ion, might ignite.

I cannot find a single place that says they are dangerous to ship or really
any dangers about them that are not common sense and/or common to all types
of batteries.

As far as I can tell, Archos refusal to ship these batteries to their users
must be some kind of business reason(although I cannot gather what that
might be.).

But the simple fact that the battery is mounted inside the device which must
be disassembled to replace is enough to make me not purchase one of these or
one of the multimedia ones. The fact that LiIon batteries are more powerful
makes it understandable why they would want to use them in their new
devices, but the whole replacement episode seems like a scam to me.

Chris