Subject: Re: Spare battery
From: Nix (
Date: 2003-04-01

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Chris Houghten mused:
> Only explosive if mis used when charging. Theyre not gonna just blow up
> otherwise they wouldnt be able to ship Lithium ion packs either.

Pack and battery are matched; interchanging packs and batteries can lead
to that lovely event which li-ion manufacturers call `venting with
flame' and the rest of us call `explosion'.

But why they don't ship li-ion *packs* to us, I can't understand ---
except inasmuch as it forces us to buy new *units* every few years
rather than merely new batteries, even if our existing unit is working
fine save for the batteries.

> Lithium ion batteries contain a much smaller amount of lithium than other
> lithium batteries.. I would imagine you would have to open one up and eat
> the insides in order to get lithium poisoning,

I thought the insides were pretty much completely nontoxic; the danger I
know of is metallic lithium deposition during overcharging.

> However, lithium is a major component in a lot of psychosis medication and
> so maybe you would be helping yourself cuz you would obviously be a nut job.

		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */